Saturday, May 6, 2017

Westley!!!

Well it's official. We have a new member of the family. Part of me can't believe it and the other part of me feel like it's been a long time coming. Elle has wanted a dog for as long as I can remember. She loved Chicago so much but she was so hard for her to handle on her own and she couldn't come in house for extended periods of time. Toby and I, mostly I haha, spend a ton of time researching the right breed of dog for our family. It was hard enough just getting another dog so I wanted to make sure that we knew what we were getting. We finally decided on a pomsky. We love huskys so a dog that looks like one but stays small seemed great. Not a lot of shedding but warm enough it can stay outside in the winter. Small but not too small. Smart. Lot of good things. With Elle's 12th birthday coming up we felt this urge or maybe pressure to find the right one sooner than later so we could gift it to her then but I wasn't just going to do it to do it. BUT then we came across this adorable dog on KSL and honestly it just felt right. We went back to it a few days and I just kept thinking the price, the color, the breed, even the size of the mother so we knew it would stay on the smaller side felt good. Toby started making phone calls, I talked to them for a long time to gain info, and the next thing we knew we put a deposit down. Ah!!! I was so dang nervous but so excited too…I could only imagine Elle's face when she say him.
So the way it went down was her birthday was on a Saturday and the first thing we did after breakfast in bed was the temple. I wrote about that earlier. Then we told her we had a surprise for her and we were all taking a little trip. Here comes the funny part. Toby and I kept leaving little hints that we were going to a ghost town which is totally believable because that's something Toby loves to do. We kept whispering to each other but made sure she could hear. We didn't want her to think she was getting a dog for one second. It was quite a long drive to get to where this little dog was…Portage Utah which is almost 2 hours away. I kept wondering what she was thinking and I think when we finally got to this little town and said "We're Here!!! Dad wanted to show you this ghost town!" I think she was secretly dying inside. This little town was tiny and didn't have many houses and they were pretty beat down. All of a sudden this storm rolled in and Toby and I were trying to think of how to get her out of the car and into the home because the breeders had taken the dogs inside because of the said storm. I ended up telling her I needed to the use the restroom badly and we should just knock on the door of this home. Toby said he'd go with me and we told Elle to come. She said "I don't need to come" and we just told her we wanted her to come anyone. She kept saying why? But we just kept saying "hurry Elle!" She gets to the front door with Toby, I'm behind and pull out my camera to film…and the rest is history. She walks in and sees 4 or 5 little puppies and I'll never forget her face. She was like "Mom! what's going on!" And then the most incredible thing. The one that we had picked out specifically runs to her climbs in her lap and snuggles and licks the heck out of her. Toby said how would you feel if I told you  this one is yours. She literally starts crying and just hugging and hugging him. It was so incredible. Cutest video ever. And that was that! The owners gave her a special birthday bag full of dog food, dog bowls, a leash, a collar, a blanket, all in her favorite color turquoise blue. We took our new little puppy out to a park in Portage Utah and started coming up with names. It was something we had talked about many times before and when I brought up "Westley" from Princess Bride…the man in black it stuck and everyone liked it and Elle started calling him that and so that's his name! Our little Westley. Welcome to the family Westley. We're all pretty in love all ready.


































No comments: