Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Memories

I just had to post a little thought on this Memorial Day. Losing a loved one has to be just about the hardest thing a person can go through. I've watched close friends go through the loss of a parent or grandparent and my heart has just gone out to them. About six months ago I went through one of the toughest things I've had to go through with the loss of my sweet Grandpa. He passed away 3 days after Christmas. I never posted anything about it because I'm not good with words plus I was dealing with all of Cash's little health issues but by using this as a journal I realized I wanted to have it documented. I love my Grandpa dearly. He has been a part of every special event throughout my entire life. We have an extremely close extended family and spent a lot of time together throughout the years. My Grandpa made each one of us feel like we were his very favorite...even though I think I really was:) Just kidding JD, Casha & Kate:) I could write for hours going over memories with him. I miss him so much. I love these pictures because these are the last pictures I have with him and a couple of them he took himself! I'm so grateful that Cash got well enough to go with me a couple of times to see him. The nurses all loved taking care of him cause he was their "Happiest" patient. He played the harmonica for them all the time and took pictures of every single person that walked in his room and then he'd transfer them over to his digital picture frame. I miss spending time with him teaching him how to email attatchments and create new folders for all his pictures. I miss how he'd tell a joke and then laugh so hard his cheeks would turn so red at his own joke. I love how every person he met he made feel like they'd been friends for years. I love how he loved my Grandma and put toothpaste on her toothbrush for her every night. I love how at his age he wanted to keep up with technology and use his computer daily. I'm grateful for days like Memorial Day when you can take a break from the world and remember the loved ones that we've lost and miss so dearly.

8 comments:

Jill Bowcutt said...

This is the sweetest post ever! What a great way to remember him by.

Jami said...

Oh, I am feeling your pain and the tears are flowing. I think we need to hook up our grandpa's in heaven. Sounds like they would be great friends!

Grandpa's truly are one of a kind aren't they.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa. I think it is harder to lose them when we are older. Then again you cherish them more at our age than you do as a child. I am sure that you made him very happy and proud. You can tell by his pictures.

hollie said...

I am so glad that I checked your blog tonight. I can totally relate. I lost my grandpa almost four years ago and it has been really hard. Sometimes I call my Grandma when I know she isn't home-his voice is still on the answering machine. Crazy how the days fly by but when you think about it time stands still. You have beautiful memories. I am sure he was so proud of you and your cute family!

Anonymous said...

I love memorial day to stop and pause to think about those we lost. Sweet Post.

Laura said...

so sweet. sometimes it's nice to have a day like memorial day that's just kinda set aside to help us remember. sounds like your grandpa was a really neat guy.

justin and jaime wimmer family said...

What a great tribute. We miss him as well. You put everything so perfect. Thanks for this post. We miss you guys as well.

Kunz Clan said...

Betsey and I love this post. Thanks for sharing your feelings on Opa Albert. We feel the same way and miss him dearly.