Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Once in a Lifetime

I wish I could say that our experience was a positive "once in a lifetime" but it wasn't. As Tob and I and the kids drove home from the Preston Rodeo last weekend we experienced something I'll never forget. We were in the middle lane going about 72 and there was a pickup truck in the fast lane going about the same speed but about 25 feet in front of us. From out of nowhere a motorcycle with two guys on it flies by us trying to get in front of us but instead misjudges their timing and slams into the truck to the left of us. Within one second their motorcycle explodes and their bodies go flying right in front of us. I think we missed them by inches. Toby swerved so fast into the right lane and slammed on his brakes. We were the first ones on the scene and I'd never been so scared my whole life. Neither of us could stop shaking. I didn't know what we were about to see. I seriously couldn't handle it. Tob dialed 911 and handed the phone to me and the rest is kind of a whirlwind. You don't need details but the scene was pretty awful and something I won't soon forget. They ended up lifeflighting one of the men and took the other one by ambulance. Last we heard they were both in stable condition but with serious injuries. The trucker behind us estimated them at going 120 mph. Tob and I couldn't sleep that night and kept playing the "what if" game..what if we would have done this, what if we would have done that... But something that I am the most thankful for would be the prayer we had right before we left Preston asking our Father in Heaven that Toby be alert on the road. I am also extremely grateful that Toby was able to administer a blessing to the two men as we waited for help to get there. What a powerful thing the priesthood is. The policeman that called us the next day told toby those two men shouldn't be alive now and he feels very strongly that the blessings helped keep them alive. It truly was a testimony builder to us. On the bright side we had a wonderful evening in Preston with the parade, and carnvial and food and family. Elle LOVED the rides and her "prizes" and Cash got his first piece of parade candy. Many more will come I'm sure!!!

14 comments:

Kunz Clan said...

I had tears as I read your blog. That is so scary. I am so sorry you guys had to witness all of that. I can't even imagine how shaky and scared you would be. It is amazing that Toby was able to give blessings and that none of you were injured. Aren't we thankful for the power of prayer? I am so glad you guys were able to come up to Preston and that we got a little visiting in during dinner and the parade. Love you guys!

Janie said...

Holy cow.

Jami said...

Oh Jos- Again I am sorry you had to experience that. NOT FUN! Glad you made it home safe.

Brianne & Jarod said...

Gese! I am glad to hear that you are ok, and LOVE that Toby was able to give the men blessings!

Brynnly and Alan said...

I can't believe you had to experience. I'm so sorry. That really says a lot about Toby's character to even think about giving them a blessing. I don't know that I would have thought of that. Glad you guys are ok!

Lenzi Woodbury said...

Oh my goodness Jos! I can't even imagine how you two held it together through such a traumatizing experience. Isn't God amazing? I'm glad you and your family are safe.

Errin said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that. I can't even imagine. I am glad you and your family are alright.

Unknown said...

I cannot believe how scary!!! WOW! What a blessing the Priesthood is. That was the really great part of the story though. Glad you're all okay.

Anonymous said...

SCARY! Probably a somber moment that will never be forgotten. So happy you and your family are safe.

Sonya said...

So here I am crying!!! Sorry you had to go through that! I too am very greatful for the priesthood. Amazing things happen with that great power!
Happy that you are home safe now!

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} said...

That makes me not want to get on the road. I can't imagine what you saw but I'm sure it was pretty graphic. That's so cool that others were able to see the power of the priesthood.

Anonymous said...

How scary! That stuff usually only happens in movies doesn't it? I am so glad that you guys are okay. You are never the same after an accident like that.

Jill Bowcutt said...

Oh my goodness. I have chills everywhere. I'm so glad you guys are ok. I can't imagine seeing something like that. I'm also so happy to hear that you still go to the Preston rodeo! In high school I used to want to go to Preston so bad after hearing your stories about it.

Leanne said...

that is one thing I NEVER want to experience!!! WOW!!!