Thursday, September 1, 2011

One Scary Night

Every since he was 3 weeks old, Cash has seemed to get every illness that even remotely comes near him. He hasn't had anything real lifethreatening or anything but still with 2 surgies, rotavirus, rsv numerous times, some asthma, encopresis, tons of ear infections, strep, along with all the normal colds, flu's, fevers, and other things kids get, I'd say he's had his fair share of sick days. So a couple of Sunday's ago Cash's Sunday afternoon nap seemed to be taking a little longer than normal. We ended up waking him up because we had a ward activity we needed to go to. When we woke up I noticed he was kind of warm. We gave him some tylenol and headed out. As soon as we got there he asked to go back home. I knew then he was probably coming down with a little something. We came home a bit later and he asked to go back to bed pretty early. It had been a few hours so I gave him a little more tylenol and put him to bed. Around 11:00 Tob and I were headed to bed, we said our prayers, and after I said to Toby I felt like I should go sleep with Cash. He told me to go if I needed to then he dropped off. I just layed there for a few minutes trying to decide what to do. Then I heard the strangest sound coming from his room. He breathes really heavily in his sleep but this time it almost sounded like he was choking. I jumped up and ran into his room. His back was turned to me and I could see he was shaking. I flipped him over and his eyes were rolled back in his head and he started convulsing. I've never felt so helpless in my whole life. I screamed for Toby so loud...he was in his room within seconds. Cash's fingers were going rigid and I couldn't tell if he was breathing. My initial thought was that he had aspirated and he was choking. Tob told me to call 911 so I ran in my room to grab my phone but my hands were shaking so bad I was having a hard time dialing the numbers. Toby kept yelling his name and was patting his back...and then he threw up. It all happened so fast but at the same time felt like it was going on forever. It took us a while to see that he was breathing and then it all started to slow down. It was then that I realized this might have been a seizure. The ent's were there within minutes and had him all hooked up to check his oxygen level and other stuff on his bedroom floor. By then he had stopped and was laying still with his eyes closed. It was like it had taken everything out of him. The ent's were so helpful and calmed our nerves very quickly. They kept talking to Cash but the only time he responded was when he said "mom I'm okay, don't cry." Broke my heart. They explained to us that this had indeed been a seizure and that they were fairly normal though the first one is always quite scary. It was caused by his fever...which I felt was ironic since it was only a 102 and he's had much worse. They still wanted us to take him up to Primary Childrens Hospital so of course we did. We were only there about 3 hours and the doctors all confirmed that he was fine and that these type of seizures were quite common. I don't care how common they are...if you don't know what they look like or how they look, they are horrifying. Tob and I both took turns having little breakdowns as we realized how scared we really were and how grateful we were that it was nothing more. It's funny how it takes small things for this to happen to really make you look at your priorities and realize how out of order they can become. The next few days were spend giving Cash and Elle even more hugs and kisses and attention then they already get. - It also confirmed to me how sweet my son really is. I've always known it but as we were walking out of the hospital together at 4:00 in the morning, holding a slushy a nurse had given to Cash, Cash said, "Mom can we go back in and get Elle a slushy. I don't want her to feel bad she didn't get one." Are you kidding me? When I told him we probably couldn't that they were just for the children that came in there sick he said, "That's okay Mom. I can share with her." I find it amazing that a little 3 year can be so unselfish, so thoughtful, and such a good example to his parents. We love that little boy with everything we've got! On a side note: Two days after, when Cash was feeling a little better, I felt like he hadn't been out of the house for awhile so I let Elle and him go out back. Within 10 minutes he was screaming and I ran out to find he had been stung by TWO bees. Seriously?? His little fingers grew twice their size. So it was more medicine and more R&R for Cash.

5 comments:

Amberlee said...

ah man--reading that totally made me cry. I am SO glad that he is ok--I am SO sorry that both he and you(and Toby) had to experience something so scary.I can't begin to imagine how I would react to something like that. What a sweet tender little guy you've got--
love you

Megan said...

Hi Josie, it's been a while since we've talked. Hope you are doing well. So sad about Cash and illness. We had a similar situation recently with our Cora, she's 3 too. Her fever was 104+ for 3 days and the peditricians wouldn't even see her for an apt that week or give us the phone authorization to go to the ER (you are supposed to get the dr's pre-screening via phone when you go to the ER here in the city, otherwise you'll wait forever and may not get in). It is so scary to see your kid so out of it with those high fevers. I seriously hope to never go through that again. Cora has dislocated her elbow and that was scary, but not like the high fevers. Anyway, just sending my sympathies your way. Glad he's ok. Amazing how kids bounce back. It's the parents who are tramatized.

Melissa said...

Oh man Josie. I wouldn't even know what to do. I'm glad everything is ok with sweet little Cash. What a wonderful little boy you are raising. :)

Jami said...

AH I've heard the story multiple times and I still cringe reading it. SO SO SO sad for all of you. SO SO SO glad he's ok.

Ivan, Monique and Marlee said...

Josie- So sad:( Poor little guy. Glad he is dong better.
Marlee loves looking at your blog with me because as she says, "We have a Josie too!" I always tell her Josie was named after you but she doesn't get it yet!
Your posts about the rodeo and grandma's birthday are so fun to read. You are such a beauty inside and out! Miss you!