Sunday, October 18, 2020

Our Trip to the Oregon Coast! Day 1 at the Columbia Gorge

 My sister has been talking about the PacificNorthwest for the longest time and talking about what an incredible place it is. She has been their a handful of times and has always wanted us to go see it with her so a while back we planned a trip for the summer. Of course Covid had other plans and we couldn’t make it work. We decided to shoot for Fall Break! We tried to make it a family trips but not everyone could come so it ended up being my family, Josh’s family, and Jamie’s family. We wanted to fit in both Cannon Beach and the San Juan Islands so we knew we wouldn’t get to spend a lot of time in both places, mostly because the drive there was 10 hours, then 6 hours up the coast, then 16 hours home and we only had 6 days but it was better than nothing! The planning was a little complicated and trying to find air bnb’s or vrbo’s was a nightmare but honestly it all worked out perfectly. Day 1 we drove straight to the Columbia Gorge in Oregon. The drive was SO pretty. I’d never been to Oregon before and it was just as beautiful as you can imagine. We got to the gorge right as the sun was going down. Our hotel was right on the bank of the Columbia Gorge River and the view was stunning. The Bridge of the God’s was right outside our room and it was incredible. We woke up the next morning and ate our free breakfast at he hotel next door and then while we waited to catch up with the rest of our fam we decided to drive across the Bridge. It was so cool! We headed into the cutest little town and ran into some missionaries at the gas station. Toby told them he’d buy their drinks if they told us about an experience they’d had and so they did. It was a really neat experience listening to them tell a story about the power of prayer and having a spiritual moment completely unplanned in the middle of nowhere. I don’t think it was an accident we ran into them. Then we took off and met the family at the first waterfall we wanted to explore! I was blown away! It was so gorgeous! I guess I have to include this crazy story about a photographer who told me I was an answer to her prayers and somehow I ended up putting on this crazy dress and let her take pictures of me and inside I wanted to die. My whole family was cracking up and I was embarrassed beyond all reason. I don’t even want to say any more about it but you know...memories and makes for a good story. Haha.  Anyway we took pictures and then went on a little switchback hike up to another waterfall that you could actually walk behind and it was awesome! Then we drove on and found the Multnomah Falls waterfall. I think we were all speechless. I had heard about the waterfalls in Oregon but hearing about them and seeing them firsthand is two different things. They were unbelievable!!! Such beautiful places. Then we drove on two hours to get to Cannon Beach. We passed through Portland which was pretty cool. We’d never seen that city before. I loved getting into Cannon Beach too. Cutest little beach town ever! When I first caught site of Haystack Rock my heart skipped a beat. Then when we got our hotel room ( which was within steps of the beach) and I looked out my window and saw Haystack Rock was right there I about died! Pretty incredible views. 






























No comments: