Friday, June 24, 2011

Utah Valley 1/2 Marathon 2011

So a few months ago Tob and I decided we wanted to run this race again this year and so the training began! This time around it was much different for me though. Lots of pain in my knee from my I.T. band. Training was hard. I went and had a cortisone shot and it didn't even touch it. I tried anti-inflamitories, rolling it out, resting...everything I could think of...but when it came down to it I really wanted to run it. So I did. We spent the night in Provo and the whole time I just kept thinking how am I going to do this, what's going to happen if the pain is so bad I can't move my leg etc etc. We woke up at 3:30 am to get on the busses by 4:30. The race started at 6:00 am. The gun went off and we started running.(Tob took off he runs much faster than me:) I hadn't even hit HALF a mile when my knee started hurting, and by mile 2 I was in full blown pain. It was awful. I wasn't sure what to do, but my adrenaline kicked in and I just tried to take turns walking as fast as I could then running as fast as I could with keeping my knee as straight as possible. So dumb I know. Not sure how I made it but was so happy to see Toby smiling at me at the finish line. I limped around for the next couple hours, but by later that night..I was in so much pain I couldn't walk. Toby was a Rock Star for the next two days. Cash had a birthday party that afternoon. Toby took care of buying the present, wrapping it, taking and picking him up, taking care of Elle, cooking me a STEAK dinner with garlic toast and vegetables, cleaning up the house, bathing and putting the kids to bed, icing and wrapping my knee..and this all went on for two days. What a wonderful person. I am so grateful for him. We have so much fun doing this together. I absolutely love running so I've got to get my knee issues worked out. One of my goals is to run this race every year. Tob wants to do the full next year...but I think I'm content to stay with my half:)

1 comment:

Jill Bowcutt said...

Nice work!! That sucks so bad about the knee. There is nothing worse than trying to run thru an injury. I've had IT band problems before too and seriously the foam roller has been my best friend/worst enemy ever since. It hurts like heck but I can't run without it. Good luck and keep it up! You look great and your kids are so adorable!