Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Traditions

If you're not in the mood for a sentimental post you may want to skip this and move on to the next blog.:) I'm in this sappy mood and decided to post and that's usually a funny combo. This last weekend we drove to infamous Preston Idaho to cut down our Christmas trees. I realized that in all my life I've only missed it 2 times...our Honeymoon and last year when Cash was born. It's something that absolutely means the world to me. I don't necessarily enjoy driving long distances with 2 small children, and everyone who knows me knows I HATE being cold. But for some reason that doesn't even matter with this. It's hard to imagine kicking off the Christmas season without it. The music, Aunt Connie's muffins and soup, ALL of cousins up in the mountains hiking around, hot chocolate, the lights...EVERYTHING! My family has so many traditions and some we've had to cut back on a little now that we have our own little family but there are some....like cutting down Christmas trees...that we just can't give up. And you know, it's funny on the drive home I got thinking alot about how much it must mean not just little old sentimental Josie but to all of my cousins because they were all there with all of their kids. It's seems like yesterday we were the kids sledding down the hills and riding the 4 wheelers and now it's our kids doing the same things. And that's the beauty of traditions. Passing our love of them down to our kids. We're now all grown up and have families of our own. It's up to us if we want to go to Rodeo week or cut down trees etc. No one's pressuring us or telling us what to do. We go because we WANT to. I don't know. Long boring post I know but I had such a good weekend and thought alot about this on the drive home. I missed my Grandpa so much up there, but am so greatful for a Grandpa and Grandma who kept our family so close and in so doing my cousins are some of my very best friends. Here's to a wonderful family tradition!!! Oh and we got a GREAT tree:)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

DARLING pics of the fam.What a fun tradition!

Amberlee said...

I love traditions too! - and what a fun one! I love the picture with Elle doing the snow angel!

Brynnly and Alan said...

I love that traditions. Traditions are the best. Love those pictures!

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} said...

Never apologize for sentimental posts. When we write down our feelings that is what is really cherishable ( is that a word )

Brianne & Jarod said...

Those traditions are really what makes Christmas so much fun :) Just not the same in Texas without the snow :(

Amberlee said...

Yes! You should get a sewing machine for Christmas- I got a super cheap one not thinking that I would like it too much- but thought it would come in handy. Now that I really enjoy sewing I wish I had gotten something nicer.-But yes- I think you should! Yeah Fun!