Sunday, November 17, 2013

The BOYS Birthdays

















So I think I wrote it somewhere before but if I didn't Todd passed away on Toby's birthday and his funeral was on Saturday which was Cash's birthdays. Not the best celebration for these boys but of course it wasn't an issue. But I didn't want them to be completely ignored either. It was hard to know what to do because none of us felt like celebrating. But after the funeral, since it was actually Cash's birthday and he's only 6 we felt like we needed to at least acknowledge it somehow. My dad had reserved the institute weeks before so we just told everyone to grab there own dinners and we'd have dessert and just  let the kids play. Easy peasy.  Everyone was so good to us. They went to the store and got Cash little gifts and of course tried to include Toby too. It was nice to smile a bit and share a little bit of happiness with all the grieving going on. We cancelled Cash's birthday party with his little friends which we had been planning and he was so looking forward to it so I told everyone we would do it a week later. Again...not my best work because we just didn't feel like doing much, but we had already made the light sabers, labels, bought the food, and I just didn't do a whole lot more. But you know what....CASH LOVED IT. And thats all the matters. We had "Han Burgers, Seven Leia Dip, Yoda Soda, Dark Side Donutes , han solo in carbonite, luke sky water, Obi-won kabobs..." and more. The boys were so happy earning their Jedi Knight certificates and everything worked out okay.

I asked Toby once everything quieted down how he was going to handle having the day his dad passed  on his birthday year after year...and Toby being the positive person he was told me he was going to look at it like a blessing. A day to SHARE with his Dad. I love him so much. It'll be a tradition to visit Todd's grave on his birthday and celebrate TWO lives. We miss him very much.

No comments: