Sunday, June 25, 2017

Westley's First Trip to the ER Vet

Well we certainly weren't planning on a trip to the vet this early with our new puppy. It was a busy day and at the end of it we are all pretty exhausted and laying around. We happen to notice how tired little Westley was too. In fact he was so pooped that we all kind of laughed at his and would lift his little paw and drop it and it was dead weight. Then the boys started laying with him and bugging him and he acted like he didn't care and I thought "man he is beyond exhausted if he doesn't care of them doing that to him!" It wasn't until Elle took him outside to go to the bathroom before bed that I realized something was wrong. He didn't even have strength to stand. He just kept laying down. Then when he stood up to walk he looked like he was drunk. Swayed from side to side, looked totally dizzy, couldn't keep his head up straight. It scared me to death! At first Toby kept saying he was fine and not to worry, but when he saw him like that he knew something was wrong too. It was already 10 o clock at night so we knew we'd have to find an after hours ER VET. I sent Toby and Elle on their way and I stayed back with the kids. Elle was a mess. I don't blame her because if I knew how I was feeling I could only imagine how she was. She loves that little dog with everything she's got. She was sobbing and my heart hurt for her and I was so worried. I went straight in my room and said a prayer. We couldn't figure out what was wrong but three things that happened that day that we wondered about was 1. Toby took him on a walk around the lake and he drank from the lake water and 2. While Tob and the kids were at the park playing Westley came running up to them with a dead rat in his mouth. So basically we wondered if he was poisoned. Three hours later and some blood work and giving him an iv and what was wrong was inconclusive but since the tests were normal they felt okay sending him home and letting us watch him for a day. It took a full day or two but we started to improvement immediately with the iv. After the whole ordeal we started to wonder if he was just dehydrated? I don't know what it was but I am SO grateful that everything turned out okay. He was acting so off and even the vet wasn't sure why he was so out there. She wondered if he had consumed some alcohol somehow! We are already pretty attached to this little guy and so here's to hoping for no more VET visits for along time!!!













No comments: