Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Polar Express, A Christmas Carol, St. Nicholas Day, and Christmas Decor!


























We have decided that going on the Polar Express is something that we should do every other year because the tickets are so darn expensive! So we didn't go last year…so it was an "on" year this year! I was pretty excited about it too because it was Kemp's first time. And honestly I didn't think Tate would even remember much since he was only 3 last time but that kid has an incredible memory and actually remembered more than I thought he would. But it was so fun taking those two little boys on a train that is all about Christmas and Santa Claus. We sang songs, ate chocolate chip cookies, drank hot chocolate,  and saw SANTA!!! He gave all the kids special jingle bells right off of his reindeers harnesses. It really is a fun ride. The older kids love it too. Afterwards we were all super hungry so we stopped in one of our favorite "Provo" restaurants and ate at Magglebyes. - another fun activity that we do every year is go to "A Christmas Carol" at Hale Center Theater. Tate and Kemp are still too little and Toby had dog training with Westley so I just took the older kids…which I love the special time with them. They LOVE this play. And so do I. Heck I practically have it memorized. Also, this year was the first time going at the new theater in Sandy. It was beautiful! - Another tradition, man we have a kazillion traditions don't we, is Saint Nicholas Day. This tradition was handed down from Grandma Steinfeldt who I honestly believed was my grandma for a long time. She was a sweet widow in my ward growing up who my parents loved and visited and tried to take care of for a long time. We all loved her like she was our own grandma. Pretty neat story is that I found out a few months after I moved into this ward that she was my good friend Tara Ashby's actual real great grandma! And that her grandparents were Jack and Clara Jorgensen who I grew up with in my ward. Pretty crazy! But anyway, I have one of her shoes from Holland, which is where she was from, and she taught us to leave our shoes out on our fireplace with straw and carrots for Santa's Horses and we always woke up to a big Chocolate "D" in our shoes…my kids obviously get the letter "C." I always loved that night as a kid. Putting out our shoes on the fireplace. I adore my house at Christmas time. It just feels so warm and cozy to me. I had to take some pictures of the beautiful tree, the twinkling lights around, I just sit on the couch and look around and enjoy it all night long. I feel so blessed. I'm so grateful for my knowledge of what Christmas is really about. I am so thankful for the special feelings of love and gratitude that this time of year seems to bring. It truly is magical.

No comments: