Monday, September 15, 2014

First Blood Transfusion and Magnesium

All I remember about the blood transfusion was that I was really scared about having someone elses blood put in me and that my arm was really hurting from the IV. This was probably about the 3rd IV I had in my arm from the time I was at Riverton hospital to now and my arm was aching and throbbing as the blood went through. They wrapped my arm in heat and I just laid there with Toby by my side. I couldn't eat anything for a while before or after and I remember feeling really sleepy. Then they had to watch me after for reactions and stuff and so the whole process seemed to last a while. They kept taking my blood to check my crit score and eventually decided it wasn't enough and decided to give me a second unit of blood. So we started all over again with another transfusion. Finally I was able to go back up to my room and I got there right in time for dinner. Tob and I got all cozy back in our room (I'm a Lama again!) and we put on a show to relax. It couldn't have been more than 30 minutes later that i started having contractions. What the?! Full blown contractions that were coming pretty close together. Next thing we know we are being taken back down to Labor and Delivery and I was all hooked up to all sorts of machines again. They were all very worried that I was getting ready to have this baby. The resident doctor that had been taking care of me the most name was Jen Kaiser and she was amazing through this whole ordeal. Really stayed by my side and tried to make me as comfortable as possible. The next couple of hours are really a huge blur but at the same time I remember the feeling I had so vividly. It was SO awful. They put me on Procardia to help stop the contractions which made me feel terrible and gave me the worst headache. I had iv's of fluid going through me and the pericardia in each arm. I was getting pricked left and ride for blood draws and everything else. I was still bleeding quite heavily but I begged to not have another catheter put in. Dr. Kaiser decided that i needed to be put on Magnesium which was mostly for the baby in case he came early, but also it could help stop the contractions and labor. I had already had two shots of steroids from the Riverton hospital and at IMC the next morning just in case baby came. They warned me that mag was really powerful and that I was going to feel terrible. That was an understatement. I remember feeling like every inch of my body was hooked up to something. My toes had an oxygen thing on them, my legs had leg cuffs on them to prevents blood clots, my stomach had two monitors on them for the baby's heart rate and for the contractions, my arms had iv's going through them and a blood pressure cuff, and i had to go to the bathroom every half hour because of all the fluid that was gong through me and they'd have to unhook me from all of this so I could go and then hook me back up. It was hard to walk I felt so terrible and I was bleeding so bad. They had NICU dr's come talk to me about what would happen if my baby were to come now and I remember just crying because I wasn't ready for that. It was just too early I was only almost 29 weeks along. Then the magnesium started. I felt burning hot, dizzy, naseaus, lightheaded, totally out of it, and to top it off when I started to drop off, (by this time it was the middle of the night) I would be suddenly woken up by the worst nightmares. I felt like the room was spinning and in my dreams I felt like I was dying and I couldn't scream, or call out to Toby even thought I knew he was right there, or push the nurses button for help. It was just all so awful. I remember just having tears running down my face. I had to have the magnesium go through me for TWELVE hours straight. Eventually I was able to tell Toby that I needed him by me so he pulled a chair next to me and held my hand for about two hours while I just layed there. I don't know how he did it...he must have been so tired. The nurses got smart and decided to roll my bed over next to his so he could lay down and I could still hold his hand. That helped so much. Just knowing he was right there really calmed me down. He truly is my best friend and I love him so much. He was my rock through it all. I kept praying for strength and tried to be brave but it was so hard. I tried to get comfortable and would roll from one side to the next but even that took strength I just didn't have. I can honestly say it was one of the hardest most difficult nights I've ever had in my life. The nurses kept telling me I was doing wonderful and that I was being so strong but I didn't feel like it. I felt like the biggest mess and I was in so much pain. People kept coming in giving me shots and taking my blood and I remember feeling like a pin cushion. It was all just so awful. After the 12 hours on magnesium things did start to slow down and my contractions went away. It just took me a long long time to feel normal again. It was funny how before I was dying to get home and then after hemorrhaging again I was so grateful I was in a place that could take care of my baby and me and I was then scared to go home where i could bleed like that again and not have the help. Toby and I decided it was exactly where I needed to be. I was content to be there for awhile...until I started to feel good again. Then I wanted to go home again.


No comments: