Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Delivery

I wanted to keep my eyes open but they kept closing. I remember Dr. Matthews asking if I could feel the pin pricks in my stomach and I could a little, so he'd say she's not numb yet and I could hear Dr. Jess Page say we've got to get this baby out now. Next thing I knew I felt all this pressure in my stomach and I knew they had cut me open. Then the door to the OR opened and in walked Tob. He came straight to me and grabbed my hand. It wasn't very long before Dr. Matthews told him to get on the ground. I wondered why? Toby said he was alright but the next time Dr. Matthews yelled it...Get on the ground! Guess Toby had walked in and the sight of me like that was too much and he went pretty white and looked unstable. So there Toby was on the ground drinking juice trying to feel better. He came back up and held my hand while they tugged and pulled to get the baby out. It hurt so bad. I felt my body going in on sorts of different directions and there was just so much pressure everywhere. I had never experienced anything like that. I remember Dr. Matthews saying "there's just so much blood." I was pretty sure I could tell the moment they got the baby out but there was no cry and they just rushed him through the window to the NICU. How was I supposed to know if he was okay?! I kept asking but they'd just say as soon as we know we'll let you know. Dr. Matthews continued to calm me down and walk me through every little step. I remember saying I felt like i was going to throw up and him giving me some sort of medication through the epidural to help with that. It took Jess another hour and a half to get me all sewn up and put back together. It all just seemed like a dream. I was shaking and pale as a ghost and pretty dazed but I remember again just feeling pretty peaceful. - I remember someone, not sure who, telling me that the baby was doing great and that he was on oxygen but his apgar score was a 7 which was incredible. When Dr. Jess Page was all done I remember her looking over at me and saying, "your little boy was sure a champ today." That just totally solidified his name to me, as all along we knew that "Kemp" meant fighter or champ. It was just so fitting. -  They then rolled me back to my room and kept me on monitors and other stuff for a bit and then each of the dr's and nurses came in to be with me and give me a hug. They were all so beyond sweet telling me how great I did and how proud they were of me, and Dr. Matthews kept telling me thank you for being so calm (I didn't feel calm!) that it made their jobs easier. I hugged each of them as I just bawled. I was so grateful for their knowledge on how to handle this kind of thing and for all that they did to get my baby here safely.  - I'm guessing it was about 30 minutes to an hour later they wheeled my entire bed into the NICU to let me see my baby for the first time. He was all hooked up in his little incubator and he was about the most incredible little thing I've ever seen. I was able to stick my finger through his little window and let him wrap his little hand around it. What a priceless moment. One I'll never forget. He truly is a miracle baby. How blessed I feel to have and I know that he was always meant to be mine!!!






No comments: