Tuesday, December 6, 2016

St. Nicholas




Growing up there was a couple of widows in our ward who my Dad and Mom really loved and took care of. They would bring us over to their homes for visits or they'd pick them up to take them on a drive up the Alpine Loop to look for leaves, or have them over in our home for a family home evening. There was one in particular that was super special to us…Grandma Steinfeldt. Her first name was Alida but we knew her as Grandma. I have very fond memories of being with her. My best friend growing up and I would walk down to her house and sit on her couch while she told us stories of her childhood. She had the most wonderful accent. I remember one time going to her home with my family to make waffles with her and the electricity went out. We ended up making them in the dark! She was wonderful. She introduced my family to both making gingerbread houses and to St. Nicholas. She gave us a little wooden shoe and told us if we'd put our own shoes out on the fireplace on Dec 6th we'd wake up to chocolate in them. We always did. We'd wake up to a big Chocolate "D" for Downs. Somehow I got lucky enough to get handed down Grandma Steinfeldts wooden shoe and so now my children will put their shoes out and get their own Chocolate "C". I miss her. I love having keepsakes like this to remind me of those memories and the wonderful people who really made me a better person.

No comments: